Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Blackwater Visit 8/11/2007 - Assorted sights

I went out to Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge again, probably about my 12th or 13 visit during the past 9 months.

While the Wildlife Drive is a great area to see a good variety of birds and wildlife, I enjoy venturing out in to the neighboring area, specifically along Maple Dam Road.

During this visit I spotted Eagles, Osprey, Herons, Egrets and a few others along the Wildlife Drive.

While on Maple Dam Road I spotted numerous Bald Eagles, a few Snowy Egrets, and the highlight of the trip a pair of Great Horned Owls! The only other wild owl I've EVER seen was another Great Horned Owl along this same road a few months ago.

Here are some of the 800+ photos I took and a short video clip, hosted on youtube.com.

Great Horned Owls at Blackwater NWR, Maryland (+video)

2007_0811_D200_92176ac

2007_0811_D200_92185ac




Bald Eagle 1 of 3 @ Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Maryland

This is the second bird in the same tree.
2007_0811_D200_92144

Bald Eagle 2 of 3 @ Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Maryland

Bald Eagle 3 of 3 @ Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge, Maryland

and then it was gone... but I saw it again later in another tree with its mate in another tree down the road ;)

2007_0811_D200_92170

Go Away, I'm on a Stakeout!

Summer's Beauty (1 of 2) - Blackwater NWR, MD

Summer's Beauty (2 of 2) <br /><br /><a href=Uh oh, is that an Eagle?

Turn poser

I'd say it was a great day to observe wildlife, and in addition I got some sweet photos. The owls were like icing on the cake.

-Jon

No comments: